Institute offers glittering career in gemology
The Gemological Institute of America offers a range of courses to further careers in the Jewelry industry. Central to its educational offer is its Graduate Gemologist Program, which it describes as “the most prestigious credential in the industry”. If you want to know a diamond from paste or how to polish a ruby, and plan to make a career out of it, then this is the program for you.
The Program teaches about world markets and supply chains for gems as part of the professional orientation a gemologist needs.
The Program is available in a blended learning format which includes elearning courses plus hands-on lab classes, presumably with no floor grilles to drop precious stones down when students fumble them (a steady hand is a hard thing to teach). There is also an accelerated, on-campus, full-time version for those who are able to take the time out to advance their careers in gemology.
Subjects taught include:
- Judging and grading diamonds by the 4 C’s (color, clarity, cut and carat weight)
- Identifying over 60 species of gemstones
- Detecting gem treatments
- Distinguishing gems from synthetics
- Grading diamonds in the D to Z color range (whatever that is)
- Lots and lots of other stuff, like identifying the treatment process of “pistachio” colored pearls. And how to keep that little eyeglass magnifier thing in your eye whilst peering at stones.
Acquiring these skills prepares you for a career as an Appraiser, Auction House Jewelry Specialist, Buyer, Instructor, Jewelry Business Owner, Lab and Research Professional, or Wholesaler.